With an average of 60 vehicles reported stolen every day nationwide, the chances of your car being swiped is real. Here are some tips to help reduce the chances of car theft when you are on or off the road.
When Entering Your Car:
- Be vigilant, always have your key ready to open the door instead of fumbling for it in your bag or pocket.
- Before getting into the car, check your surroundings as well as inside of the car for hidden would-be thieves.
When You Are Driving:
- Keep your windows completely closed and car doors locked when driving and especially when waiting at the traffic lights.
- If you think you are being followed, do not drive straight home. Drive to a busy area or the police station until your pursuers give up.
- Do not stop if you feel someone deliberately crashed into you. Go straight to the nearest police station to lodge a report.
- Keep precious items and valuables hidden from prying eyes, even when your car is locked.
When Your Car Is Parked:
- Park in a well-lighted area and in line of sight of the offices, shop lots or residences.
- Do not park between two large vehicles.
- Be aware of pillars and other obstructions that thieves can hide behind.
- Park headfirst towards the curb to reduce the chance of being towed by thieves.
- Lock the car – this includes using the steering lock, gear lock and pedal lock – and bring the keys with you.
- Don’t leave the parking ticket, pass or Touch ‘n Go card inside your car. You don’t want to make it easy for the thief to drive your vehicle out of the car park.
Make Your Car Theft Proof
In addition to the sensible tips mentioned above, you can go a few steps further by helping to make your car theft proof. Try these theft-prevention products, which make it more difficult for thieves to steal your car:
- Kill Switch – Kill switches work by attaching an on/off switch to a wire that is vital to start the vehicle – usually the fuel pump or ignition. Turn the switch off when the car is parked to prevent thieves from starting your car. Turn it back on when you are ready to drive off. The switch can be installed under the driver’s seat or some other hidden location.
- Car Immobilisers – An immobiliser is an electronic security device that prevents thieves from starting the engine without the correct key. Cars with immobilisers cannot be hot-wired.
- Hood Locks – The hood lock prevents thieves from lifting the hood via the release lever and gaining access to your car’s engine, battery and other components.
- Electronic Car Alarms – Install those that come with kill switches and a blaring alarm for an effective solution.
- VIN Etching – By etching the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the windows, your car will be unappealing to thieves. Syndicates would need to remove the stencilled windows, which will eat into their profits.
- GPS Tracking System – This enables the police and you to track your car remotely via the GPS transmitter should it be stolen.
By implementing most of the steps above, you will definitely help reduce your chances of being part of the dire car theft statistics. A word of caution though, just be sure that your anti-car theft methods do not void your warranty.
Protect Yourself After An Accident Or Crime
In addition to protecting your car, you’ll be pleased to know that with EZCover Personal Accident Plan, you can protect yourself and your family in the event of a car accident. You’ll also have the option to add on coverage for theft or snatch robberies, as well as emergency cash upon accidental hospitalisation and more. Best of all, EZCover Premier Plan protection only costs less than RM1.60 per day. To find out more about EZCover and other EZTakaful plans, click here.